“The Feature and Follow is the premium BLOG HOP of Book Bloggers. Running for over five years, the Feature and Follow’s goal is to promote the book blogging and author community to join together and support each other – even if it is just through a simple follow. The FF also promotes creative post options by offering interesting topics we can all talk about and comment on! Come join us.”
THIS WEEK’S POST PROMPT:
TEN REASONS YOU LOVE YOUR FAVE GENRE
submitted by Diane @ Diane’s Book Blog
(Sorry in advance to TWILIGHT fans! I don’t judge you or your taste! I just have a thing.)
This should be easy, right? I mean, I read so much PNR and UF (paranormal romance and urban fantasy), I should know why right off the top of my head. Yeah, well, I just take my genres for granted these days, cruising through them like I would starve if I didn’t. Sometimes I have to force myself to take a break with another kind of book just to save myself from going completely off the rails and starting to think our sexy monsters are real or something. (not really).
Besides, this will be a good exercise for when people ask me, “Ugh, how can you read that stuff? Twilight was crap!” After I finish beating them with a first edition hard cover of INTERVIEW WITH A VAMPIRE, I can share this list.
These, obviously, are my opinions, not judgments (except on Twilight) or laws or something.
10. Extraordinary situations where anything goes — when you live in a world of monsters and magic, thrillers, murder, mysteries, a lot of general contemporary stuff gets a lot more exciting!
9. Nighttime — I am a dedicated night owl, and have been all of my life. I love that a lot of the action in PNR and UF happens at night.
8. Mis-matched or star-crossed soulmates… but at least with happy or hopeful endings. –Look, I loves me some angst and brooding. A LOT. But there needs to be some serious love and hopefully sexing for me to be satisfied.
7.Taking old character types and giving them all kinds of new polish. — The genres take played out species, and the best writers either make them new again, or make you love them anyway. VAMPIRES 4EVA! (Not the twinkly kind.)
6. I still believe some of the best imaginations are writing paranormals of various stripes.
5. They have been sustaining me — and inspiring me to write — for a long time. During many health crises and down times, a good journey into a dark world could really do the trick to distract me.
4. The SEX! I love my fiction various degrees of smutty, from deeply sensual to SMOKING. Paranormal heroes and heroines just DO it for me.
3. The use of history — I think this is mainly vampires and other immortal beings (or stories set at various periods). I adore fish out of water stories, and I think vampires sort of baffled by the modern world are my favorite. Of course they need a hot love interest to show them away! Or vice versa, if she ends up in his world.
2. These don’t have to be dark — there are lots of books and stories with paranormal characters that are hilarious!
NUMBER ONE: Did I mention vampires already? I’ve been obsessed with them since I was about 7 years old. It was all Anne Rice’s fault. I read the forbidden fruit that was INTERVIEW WITH THE VAMPIRE, and I was doomed. Do you know that first edition hardcover is worth about $27,000 today? Yow. I wish I owned one. Not that I would EVER sell it.
This was fun! I’ll try to remember to post sooner next week!
If you would like to follow — and I would LOVE to have you! Please do!
I can’t figure out for the life of me how to put the links over here, but if you look to the right on this page, you’ll see invitations to become my minion by email or WordPress. I like those best!